Friday, June 8, 2012

Visiting Home. Making Anime Costumes.

Sorry I've been out of commission for awhile! Part of it was that I was in a weird funk and didn't feel like creating anything (Does that happen to anyone else? Or just me?), but the other part of it was that I went home to visit my family and didn't really have time to post anything!

I was actually really excited to go home because I wanted to hit up Joann's Craft store because everyone talks about them. Luckily for me, they were having a sale on patterns when I went, so I grabbed 6 dresses I love and I'm so excited to start making them. (Add to the list, sheesh.)

Torturing the cat
Anyway, one of the goals of my trip was to teach my sister how to sew. She's been wanting to know just in general for hemming and things, but when she told me she was trying to find a costume for an anime con, I was like, "Gosh, just make one."

Concentrating!
We were originally going to buy some fabric, but Joann's didn't have the right types or colors (also, it was surprisingly the same price as here in NYC!). Luckily, my sister found the right colors at Target. We bought 3 XL men's shirts.

Our yards of fabric
I taught her how to draft a pattern, which I had only really done in my head before, and it turned out beautifully.

We had a few problems with the sleeves. I don't really get sleeves. They confuse me immensely, but somehow we figured it out, and they went on without any issues (after the 4th or 5th time).


Based on her new skills, she's made a backpack, and she's working on the hat part of the costume. I'm so proud of her!

Made without my presence. *sniff* I'm so proud.

Also, can I just say that having a huge counter top at the perfect height made this so much easier. Normally, I lay everything out on the floor, and it kills my knees (and my spirit). I definitely need to invest in some sort of cabinet or SOMETHING immediately.
The preliminary outfit!
Inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment