Friday, September 19, 2014

Finished: Lazy 30s Gown

I bought this fabric, this beautiful soft floral print that I normally don't gravitate towards, last spring (as in over a year ago), and I bought as much of it as I could.


I have been on the hunt for a 1930s ballgown pattern, similar to this McCall pattern, for over a year now. I decided this fabric would be perfect, and since no vintage patterns were falling into my lap (for a reasonable price), I decided to draft my own.


I draped it I imagined it in my head, but I decided that I also wanted to be able to slip the gown easily over my head. And I didn't want it TOO formal, even though it's modeled after a ballgown, because I wanted to be able to wear it out during the day.


I wanted it done by Labor Day, as a birthday present to myself, but then it was raining last Labor Day, and then it got cold, so I put the project away for the winter.


I pulled it out and slowly began working on it this spring and summer, and once again, it's become almost too cold to wear it out. BUT AT LEAST I FINISHED!


Also, since we're in that weird season that we've been in most of the summer, where it's cold at night, but kind of hot during the day, I can still wear it out during the day - perfect!


I attempted to do a mermaid tail, but I overestimated my height (aka I don't really measure most things until afterwards) so I had to cut off most of the tail, but it's still there! You can't really see it when the wind blows - if only I had a roaring fireplace to stand next to...


I knew I wanted an elasticated waist, but I was stumped for the top. Luckily I found an amazing tutorial from Mimi G, where I got a few ideas, like the shoulders, which I turned into a lazy version of sleeves. (And if you're a beginner, I highly recommend her tutorial for her maxi dress!)


Let me know if anyone wants a tutorial, and I'll put one up next week!

12 comments:

  1. It's lovely the color and fit suits you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. Would you mind me featuring any of your projects on SSB? I credit, link to your post and let you know when featured.
    https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  3. How elegant! I love the sleeves. I hope you get a couple more warm days to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I keep hoping for one more 80 degree day, but I think that's out of the question at this point. ;-)

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! A tutorial would be great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll work on putting one together then! :-D

      Delete
  5. I love this! The fabric and drape are so elegant. You're right - we had a strange California-like summer with warm days and cold nights. Bizarre! You might have gotten some wear out of it this weekend?? I miss summer already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss summer too! Though I'm starting to look forward to the holiday seasons coming up - but come January it needs to get warm again. ;-)

      Delete

  6. Featured on Sassy Sewing Bees as agreed https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

    ReplyDelete